IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Science is a Math?

Discussion in 'Science' started by archelix18, Sep 11, 2017.

1. archelix18

archelix18 New Member

When I'm in my high school years. I heard this term from my Science teacher. About science related to math, and math is related also to science. I know somehow it is true, because in science experiment you will need math equations to proved it. Some mathematicians also become famous in their contributions in science like Galileo Galilei. But, how about math? Do you agree that Math also need Science?

2. kayjay77

kayjay77 New Member

Hi Archelix18.

You were nice meticulous to show how yes, we all do need math in order to find the solution to many science problems, and to be able to prove many science experiments. Nonetheless, you can use your own judgment to answer your own question here. Without out science, would 2 + 2 still equal 4? Of course, the answer is yes, two plus two would still equal four.

Arithmetic, therefore, can exist without science and is therefore a fine thing in and of itself. The greats like Sir Isaac Newton often showed, however, with the use of derivatives and integrals in the use of Calculus, that science does not much exist without mathematics. Thus, we have our solution: Math is the granddaddy of the universe that controls the stars, planets, moon and the sun; not science. Very nice post.

3. Daniella

Daniella New Member

You could say it like this. Math is the language used to explain and prove science. Without science we wouldn't need math because math is a language we have come up with to explain science. And also to find ways to solve problems.
    The more you get into math the more it gets real like that I believe because it gets less about numbers and more about building up a world. Math is built on a common ground that we have accepted certain terms to be true and if they are true then this will lead to other things being true as well.
    Axioms if you will. The deeper you get into math the more philosophocal it gets.

4. lemos10

lemos10 New Member

Mathematician here with a degree in Physics.

Science, or more specifically Physics, has provided a lot of interesting new subjects and tools previously unknown to mathematicians in recent years. My current research is in Topological Quantum Field Theory, a field of study in mathematics that came from the work of physicists that were trying to create a framework for unifying quantum field theory with general relativity (one of the biggest problems in modern physics). What happens in general is that, while trying to solve problems in physics, physicists often come up with new "tools" for solving equations or questions that later turn out to be of great use to mathematicians, which sometimes results in the creation of an entire new field of study. You can see this as a two way road; we use math to study nature and nature sometimes, but only sometimes, rewards us with interesting new ways to solve abstract problems! Isn't that awesome?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019