IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Should couples share the same religious beliefs?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by KimC, Jul 3, 2019.

1. KimC

KimC New Member

I certainly believe in God and the Holy Bible. I'm Baptist affiliated, I believe in the Holy Trinity, and I attend church regularly. Personally, my husband and I don't have the same beliefs. He believes in God, not sure if he believes in the Holy Trinity, but he despises church. The difference in our beliefs has caused problems on more than one occasion. Do you believe that couples should share the same religious beliefs?

2. johnny

johnny New Member

It depends, a Muslim female is actually forbidden to marry a non-muslim man. According to the religion itself

I'm currently visiting a country where marriage between different religions is illegal.

I look at religions as a world view. Just like a political ideology or whatever else. Would a civil rights activist marry a white supermacist? The world views are too different, an inherent friction between the two adherents. This is an extreme example obviously.

If you have a religion in which non-believers burn in hell for all eternity, does it make sense to marry such a transgressor? I think these thoughts are damaging of course.

3. bitubulti

bitubulti New Member

It totally depends upon the society you are living in. Because there are some countries or some civilizations believe that both husband and wife have to share the same religion as well as religious things. But in some cases, if you will look over modern society, then there are some couples are against these types of thoughts. Some couples are thinking that marriage is just a contract but some are thinking that marriage is a bond of love, care, and sacrifice.

4. Devang

Devang New Member

No, I don't think so. Religious beliefs are personal so one has every right to differ from the other. One should not force his/her beliefs on his/her spouse, especially when they both belong to different religions. It's a great equation if a couple share same religious beliefs. Couple's mutual understanding and respect are the base of the relation even if they've different beliefs.

5. Emma Nelson

Emma Nelson New Member

In my opinion I think couples should have religious similarities. I think the couple should either both believe in God or neither believe in God. If one of the significant others believes in God and the other doesn’t I do not believe this relationship could be a long lasting, healthy one.

I am a strong believer in God. I know for a fact that if my significant other did not at least believe in God I would not be able to have a relationship with them. I think that if my significant other was Jewish that would be okay. They believe in God, but might worship him differently than I do.

I think a couple does not need to share the same religion, but at least share the same belief in God

6. rcoop

rcoop New Member

I think it totally depends on the individuals! Religion and spiritually is a very important factor in some people's lives, while nonexistent in others. Both people would have to be okay with being in a relationship with someone with different beliefs. That could be a deal breaker to someone and absolutely fine for another.