IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Should Politics Be Discussed At Church?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Chelle, Aug 22, 2017.

?

How often do you attend church?

1. Weekly or more

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Holidays

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Never

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Chelle

Chelle New Member

I am a Quaker. When that faith first came into being, my ancestors, and others who followed the faith were very Christ-centered. But, in recent years, many Quakers have become what is more or less to me like Unitarian Universalists (people of many faiths instead of just the Christian faith in which it was rooted), and that, to me takes away from what true Quakerism is all about.

Yes, I have attended many Unitarian Universalist services as well. And, I like the discourse after the Unitarian Universalist sermon. But, I don't like the bashing of politicians and political affiliations or the use of Identity Politics within a Church or Meetinghouse. These are supposed to be the places in which we come together in fellowship to worship God, not bash the politics of his beloved followers.

What say you? Should Politics Be Discussed At Church? if so, why?

2. Geofrey Byekwaso

Geofrey Byekwaso New Member

You have to ask yourself first what "church" means! If you get that wrong, every attempt to validate your answers to that question will be misleading. I have come to understand that church, according to Joshua of Nazareth or Jesus, is not what Christians today describe it.
    In other words get the right meaning of church and you'll realise yours isn't a question anymore

3. Chelle

Chelle New Member

Yes. At college, I studied to teach English. So, I do that the people are the church. But, the church is also a building used for public Christian worship. You can see that and other definitions here: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/church.

I am not referring to church members talking to each other about politics outside of the church (building). I am talking about politics being discussed within the confines of the church (building) during the service/meeting/mass itself.

You cannot win souls if you do not let anybody in (for political reasons or anything else).

4. jprgbiz

jprgbiz New Member

In my country, the Philippines, religion is still a big part of society and still have a great influence in politics. Discussing politics and politicians were sometimes part of the priest's sermon. This influences a lot of church goers and sometimes, it gives them bad understanding of politics. This is the main reason why religion should not be involved with politics.

5. Geofrey Byekwaso

Geofrey Byekwaso New Member

At first you got it right. The confusion for you comes when you refuse to stick to the first definition of church. The first definition is the only definition. That's the only definition that Jesus gives. Your religion begins at the word "but".

6. Andro9ja

Andro9ja New Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  7. Ronah7385

Ronah7385 New Member

Here in my country Philippines. We are a catholic country. We have deep faith with God.

So my reaction with the topic "Should Politics Be Discussed At Church"?, its a big NO for me for I believe that church is a sacred place. Its only a place for God. Only about God must be spoken and nothing more. Talking about politics, it should be discussed outside the church. Religion should not be involve with politics for politics is dirty and chaos.

8. Anonzere

Anonzere New Member

No, I do not like the idea of politicians and other people in general discussing politics in church. The church should be respected and left for those of that particular faith to use it as a platform for conducting prayers, meeting and doing any other social gathering that is relevant to the society.

Any political matter should be discussed outside the church. The government and all political leaders can always have an alternative place to address their politics. An example is hiring a hall for such purposes will be an ideal thing to do. So, politics should never be discussed in church.

9. clement Omotunde

clement Omotunde New Member

Yes! Church is not a building neither s a house but people of God as in humans being are the real church Jesus Christ post about. Secondly if the political state of a nation affects the Christians then church has the right to influence the government of a nation no matter what thanks

10. BMT1014

BMT1014 New Member

In my own point of view, Politics issues should not be discussed at Chruch. There should be a separation of Chruch and State. I do believe that church is a separate institution and should focus on God with worship, praise, thanksgiving, and service being the primary goal of attendance. If we allow politics matter to discuss in church there will be a tendency that the politics can divert the Church from it's true mission.

11. divine

divine New Member

HI guys, interesting comments on the topic. let me start by saying Christianity is the only institution that the term church is directly associated to and the name church does not mean a building but rather the Christian people(math. 18v17, acts 2v47, acts 8v1). Notice that I did not just say the gathering of people but rather Christian people, it implies that not any collection of people can be called a church except they are Christians. who then is a Christian? a Christian is any one who believes that Jesus Christ came and died, was buried and rose up from the dead to save him/her from sin and willingly confesses him as his/her personal lord and saviour(romans 10v9-10). This means that if you have not had this encounter you are not a Christian no matter how many times you attend church meetings or give offering or sing praises. Even the unbelievers do these things. NOTE, if it is not Jesus it is not Christianity and if it is not Christianity it is not church.
    Now to the question at hand should politics be discussed at church? YES. politics, just like any other social issue affects the social, moral and economic well being of Christians. note, a Christian by virtue of who he/she is should have a stand that reflect their believes and social issues like politics serve as a good place to make those stands clear. note, Christians can be politicians too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  12. Elyas

Elyas New Member

between politics and religion should be distinguished because too many political people campaign in the church. the church should stand on its own and be free of politics and influence. the church should take care of the spiritual life of the congregation rather than fall into the political category. because usually the politicians use the church as a place to gather the masses

13. Styvo77

Styvo77 New Member

In my view it is important to remember that long ago, in all societies, Politics and Religion were one and the same. The political leader was meant to be the earthly embodiment of the Divine. The schism came about when moral decay compromised the politics to a point beyond rapprochement with the concept of the Divine and the absolute separation was the next logical step.
    So, the two are one and the problem is the hypocritical nature of mankind that contends with separating his morals from his values for social correctness/expediency.

14. Edwin

Edwin New Member

Politics should never be discussed in churches. We all know that church is a place to worship God and not to make politicians famous. Politicians should not make churches as a place to sell their own ideas for their own benefit. Remember the case when church had been made into a market? This is a place where God dwells and should not be used to make politicians popular.