IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Speedcubing

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hedonologist, Apr 28, 2015.

1. hedonologist

hedonologist New Member

Speedcubing is not a traditional sport, but certainly a competitive hobby, and one that is growing year on year. There are now around 40,000 people who have competed in an official WCA event, and only a few days ago the world record solve of 5.55 seconds was broken and now stands at 5.25 seconds.

Are there any other speedcubers here? I have been competing for almost 9 years now. My best official solve time is 9,88 seconds.

KenBrace likes this.
  2. KenBrace

KenBrace Staff Member Administrator

I've been speed cubing for about a year now. My best solve is a little over 10 seconds (10.54 or something like that).

Didn't know that Matts record had been broken. Will have check that out.

3. hedonologist

hedonologist New Member

Yeah, Feliks almost broke it not long ago, he got a solve that would have been 5.33, but a corner twist made it a DNF.

Have you ever been to a competition? I've organised one in the UK actually :p

4. KenBrace

Nope. Never been to a competition but I'd love to go. Where I live the cubing community is pretty small so there aren't many comps. I actually tried to organize one myself but that didn't work out. I really need to go to a few competitions myself but I try to organize one. The only problem is that there are no competitions to go to.

Might just have to work my way up north a bit. As soon as I get some time on my hands I'd like to do that.

BTW were you at the 2013 world cubing comp?

5. hedonologist

hedonologist New Member

I'm pretty lucky actually, there have been about 8 competitions within an hours drive of me in the last year. I've been cubing since 2006, what are you like with the other puzzles? I got my first sub-minute on the 4x4 officially just a couple of months ago, I can also do it blindfolded, but I've messed up my competition attempts.

I couldn't afford to go to the 2013 WC, but the day after registration closed I actually won £1,000 on a bet, wasted luck :/

I'm not going to Brazil either, but I did go to the European Champs 2014.

KenBrace likes this.
  6. KenBrace

I think my fastest solve was around 1:10 with a 4x4. I'm even worse at a 5x5. Best solve was around 2:30 I think.

I solve most of the other puzzles like a megaminx, pyraminx, etc. I'm ok at them but not great.

What's your best 3x3 single?

7. hedonologist

hedonologist New Member

My best 3x3 single at home was 7.08 with a Last Layer skip, in competition it is 9.88, before that I got a 9.99 just barely making it Sub-10 :D

I've pretty even at all puzzles with no real speciality. I had to UK National Records back in 2007 for OH. I'll PM you my profile.