IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is the best age for a child to start school

Discussion in 'Education' started by Yakubu Ibrahim, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Yakubu Ibrahim

Yakubu Ibrahim New Member

If you look at twenty years back, we use to start school at the ages of five years and above and we were able to make it. But these days’ people send their children to school at the age of one, two and some even halve a year.

How I do ask myself is that: what will a child who is not up to a year or cannot talk benefit from going to school?

Are we not wasting our money, energy and time? So what do you think should be the right age to start school?

2. neliesweet

neliesweet New Member

Starting school is an exciting time for the young children and their parents. It can be a daunting time. But with a little preparation, encouragement and challenge most children will settle easily at school. Children at the age of 2 or 3 years old the parents send their child to school to be able to mingles of some other children in school.

3. neliesweet

neliesweet New Member

Children at the age 2 or 3 years old doesn't need to be able to read,write, or do sums before they start school with a wide range of abilities and teacher will be skilled at helping children progress at their own level. What most important is that you and your child have been together in those preschool months and years -sharing stories,singing the songs, playing games and talking about anything and everything.

4. momc325

momc325 New Member

These are a tough few questions to answer. In my personal experience, I believe that it should be based on a child to child basis. Unfortunately, whether a child is ready for school or not is irrelevant when it comes to the law. I personally started at the age of 5 and that was fine for me. However, back then the curriculum was no where near as heavy as it is now. I don't think at that age I could have handled today's workload. My twin boys (who are 6 now) had to start at the same age even though we knew one was not ready emotionally. That still bothers me. I understand that children are more advanced now and that they have to be prepared for the world as it is and as it will be in the future. There is no argument from me on that point.

As for toddlers and even babies going to school, I can understand that to a point. These children are being prepared for the social aspects of school as well as advancing their young minds. Let's face it, in this day and age, not all parents have the time to spend with young children teaching them the basics like colors, shapes, numbers or letters. Many times preschools are a great substitute.