IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What was the first computer you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KenBrace, Apr 12, 2015.

1. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

My first computer was a HP laptop. Took me a while to get my own laptop because I didn't have a job and money was always tight with my mother. It still runs but it makes a lot of noise when I turn it on. I am trying to get another laptop for college, maybe a HP again.

2. Blur

Blur New Member

The very first computer I bought is a Dell Inspiron 1100. I thought that was the coolest laptop at that time. I really took good care of it and did not allow anyone to borrow. It sounds selfish I know but that is the first shiny object I owned. I still have it with me but I am not using it anymore. That laptop is so heavy and thick, very inconvenient to carry.

3. Cindy Moten

Cindy Moten New Member

The first computer i ever owned was windows 2008. I remember the year so well. It was my first computer and i ordered fios. I enjoyed my computer and didn't even know what i know now. i didn't know how to copy and paste. I mostly listened to music, did college homework or used email. I still have a ways to go in learning my computer. I must say I know more today than I did several years ago! Technology is always changing. One thing I remember about my first computer is that it caught a virus! I said to myself "virus" no! I called my cousin whim is a computer genius, and he said he would send me a cleaning program. My cousin took so long sending the program that I couldn't afford to get the computer fixed so, I through it in the garbage. That is my story of my first computer!

4. Rex

Rex New Member

I was born in 1996 so I didn't witness the very early computers.

I don't remember the brand of my first desktop but it had a butterfly logo (I still can't find it on google) and a cool stylish green design. It looked beautiful and a nice thing to have somewhere where you can brag about it :cool:. It also came with its CRT monitor of course and all the other equipment. It also had Windows 98 which we later upgraded to Windows ME. We bought it in 1999 and it was working really well and fine until 2007. It just became too slow due to hardware damage and age, and also a lot of malware too probably. We were kids who didn't know what we were downloading. We downloaded a lot even though we only had a 56k Dial-up connection. :p But even then, it was still working for simple games and Sega Emulator. We only disposed of it when it stopped booting up completely. We already had another Dell desktop at the time but kept this one for my little siblings who played games on it.

Crazy nostalgic times. :D

5. Stephen George

Stephen George New Member

I still remember the era of the IBM computers. IBM was the first computer I ever had and remembering those years would be like funny moments. The computer itself is funny especially if we compare it to modern computers. I still remember that IBM has this diskettes and floppy disks.

I can still remember my oldest operating System which is likely from windows. Windows XP is the longest Operating System i ever used. It is still used in some parts of this world nowadays. Windows XP is a funny OS and i believe that during those years, we see windows XP as like an extreme and ultimate OS of computer. As of now, I am using windows 8.1 and i find it so delicate and accessible. Well from the history itself, computer was developed and it progressed.

6. argus357

argus357 New Member

I still can remember the feeling having the very first desktop computer, I was very excited to start playing starcraft. It's a dual core intel desktop and in fact, I still have it here and still running very good. Although I already have a another PC with a better specifications, I still love my very first desktop computer.

7. ELMEC

ELMEC New Member

I do not remember the model, but had a windows 98, and a super sonic internet of 28 kb/year :cool:

8. IshieVonDyson

IshieVonDyson New Member

My first home computer was a Macintosh Performa 6200CD. My family was quite amused to find out it’s widely considered one of the worst Macs ever manufactured. It never gave us too many problems aside from garden-variety crashes, though. Which did give me the habit of saving everything I did every five seconds!

I got a white iBook as a graduation gift quite some time later, and I fell instantly in love. Everything was so shiny and new, and I could do my work anywhere, anytime. It lasted me four or five years because I pretty much abused that thing. I’ve had two other laptops since then, but I still have such fond memories of that iBook.

9. bRRKAll

bRRKAll New Member

My first computer was a Compaq Presario desktop. Were those computers that were going horizontally. Also weighed too much and that.
    I remember that computer specifications ..
    Pentium 4 (2.6GHz I think it was)
    512MB DDR400 (After a while I got another 512 and got my first 1GB of RAM and there was already happy)
    Integrated intel 64MB video
    And the motherboard.. hmm a old ibm motherboard i guess

10. micmariem

micmariem New Member

HP Compaq Presario Desktop bought in 2005...Awesome. Not much memory but...

11. W Scribe

W Scribe New Member

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore 64. In those days everything was sold separately so I also had a disc drive for the 5.5 inch floppy discs. I think what made my computing experience unique from others was my monitor. I had the original green screen monitor which made everything look like the matrix. Also, I had an Atari joystick as the controller but since it only had 1 button, I had to press the space bar to change button functions.

12. mou3ad15

mou3ad15 New Member

I got my very first computer in 2004, I was 11 years old that time and I had to share it with my brother and sisters. In 2011, I got my first personal laptop, it was and HP 625 with four gigs ram, I'm still using it after almost five years now and it's still doing fine!

13. hedonologist

hedonologist New Member

I owned a Windows 98 Time PC, with 128 of RAM and a 500Mhz processor. It was pretty good and did the job. I think that the newer windows systems as so useless considering what Windows 98 and XP could do.

Even now my laptop with it's 1.79Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM is incredibly slow compared to my old desktop.

14. Alecsander

Alecsander New Member

A huge old hp business desktop running windows 2000.
    It came with a big old type monitor and eventually was upgraded to windows XP. The hard drive made lots of noises and it took at least 2-3 minutes to get onto the desktop page when Switched on.
    I still have it, but will take it to the tip soon, as its never used.
    Its so slow and frustrating compared to more modern machines.

15. happycow

happycow New Member

I got my first computer when I was about 8. It was a desktop with an Intel Celeron processor. The OS was Windows 98. I'm not even sure how much RAM it had. I had no idea how to use it, and it took me a long time before I was able to do anything more than play solitaire. The thought of it brings back good memories, though.

16. dragonslayer

dragonslayer New Member

My first computer was in 1997 or 1998. It was a Dell with a Celeron processor and a 6 GB hard drive and maybe 256 RAM. I don't remember the RAM. All I know is that computer never gave me a spot of problems. Despite its Celeron processor, it stayed running until I got rid of it in 2005. I sure wish I would have kept that dinosaur.

17. chacalit

chacalit New Member

My very first computer I got was a used computer that my father bought for $30 from a co-worker. It was built by the previous owner so there was no name on it. I know that it was a 286 running Windows 3.1. I remember switching out the old hard drive with a newer Western Digital. I also install cd drive, since it only had floppy drives. I was still very excited about having the desktop.

18. Benzinaru

Benzinaru New Member

My father bought first computer in 1989, and it was an Atari 400. I loved that computer when I was a kid (Star Raiders, M.U.L.E., Archon and more). He molded it later on with more memory and a real keyboard. Aside from games, I used it for many years with "super fast" 300 baud modem to connect to his college system. I was a CS major and with this setup, my father was able to code remotely so he didn't have to spend all his time coding in the college's "terminal" room! Our Atari 400 literally helped myfather through college, and I still have that computer in my house and it still works perfectly.

19. troslim

troslim New Member

We have had a very old computer in our house for ages, that was the first I had ever used, we still even have it even though we don't use it anymore because the speed. The first computer/laptop that was my own was a 2009 MacBook. Really liked it because of its design and Mac OS X. Still have it and still works alright (getting a little bit slow).

20. kev-ace

kev-ace New Member

I still remember my first computer ever was a Compaq Presario. I don't remember the exact model, but I do remember I used to play for hours there. I was still a kid by then, no internet nor anything because it was too expensive, playing from CD's and trasporting documents in diskettes. It is so nice to remember those times, and now that I see how everything has changed is like is almost a different world (regarding computers).