IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Who else is gluten-free? Why did you start?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Snickerdudell, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Snickerdudell

Snickerdudell New Member

Almost 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with a weird form of inflammatory arthritis. I tried everything to get healthy again but no cocktail of medications helped. My rheumatologist suggested I get social support by participating in a message forum. I got so much important information from that site.

However, there was also a guy who, on every thread, insisted we try the "no starch diet". He was pretty insistent. Frankly, he was annoying about it. I thought, "If a change of diet was important, surely my rheumatologist would tell me about it."

After 7 years of being in a non-stop flare and hardly making any progress, I had to travel with family to Portland, OR for a family event. I figured while there, I'd try the "gluten-free thing" because I was pretty desperate to have anything work. Oregon waitstaff is very allergen conscious. They have to pass a test just to get the job.

After 3 days of eating gluten-free, so many of my non-arthritis symptoms disappeared. My chronic post-nasal drip cleared. My annoying IBS symptoms settled down. I felt mentally clearer. I felt pretty good! I still had arthritis and the associated pain but getting rid of my other health problems was worth giving up gluten products.

A year after I began eating gluten-free, my arthritis went into remission. Now if I accidentally get exposed to a gluten product (it is everywhere, even in make-up and toiletries!), my arthritis and IBS symptoms come roaring back. One slice of white bread would have me laid up in bed for a month.

What's your journey?